Friday, July 21, 2006

The Inimitable Mrs. Parker....

Dorothy Parker...what a poet she is! Her poems are so loaded with emotion...you can't help but get affected by them. They are funny in a sort of dark manner....you smile but you realize the pain hidden behind it. Some are depressing....simply because they tell you the truth in a cut and right way. It is difficult for me to choose just one of my favourite poems written by her...So I present you with three....


Resume

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.
-- Dorothy Parker




Unfortunate Coincidence

By the time you swear you're his,
Shivering and sighing,
And he vows his passion is
Infinite, undying -
Lady, make a note of this:
One of you is lying.
-- Dorothy Parker





A Well Worn Story

In April, in April,
My one love came along,
And I ran the slope of my high hill
To follow a thread of song.
His eyes were hard as porphyry
With looking on cruel lands;
His voice went slipping over me
Like terrible silver hands.
Together we trod the secret lane
And walked the muttering town;
I wore my heart like a wet, red stain
On the breast of a velvet gown.
In April, in April,
My love went whistling by,
And I stumbled here to my high hill
Along the way of a lie.
Now what should I do in this place
But sit and count the chimes,
And splash cold water on my face,
And spoil a page with rhymes?
-- Dorothy Parker

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this page..excellent choice of poetry:) keep going:)post some of mamta kalia and tara patel..they are awesome too:)...